A view of the Refectory at the Fedorovsky godorok (Fedorovsky town).
Fedorovsky godorok (Фёдоровский городок) is a complex of buildings in the town of Pushkin, near Saint Petersburg, Russia. Earlier this town was called Tsarskoye Selo, literally ”The Tsar’s Village”. The town’s name was changed in 1937 to Pushkin to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin.
At the time of the construction of the Fedorovsky Cathedral it was necessary to build living quarters for the clergy of the cathedral. So it was decided to build an architectural complex in national style on the opposite side of the pond from the cathedral. The Tsar Nicholas II put forward two conditions for this complex to the chosen architect, Stepan Krichinsky . The buildings should be in the same style as the Rostov Kremlin and the complex should not be radically discordant from the nearby Alexander Palace. The construction of the complex started in the summer of 1913 and continued until June 1918.
During the construction of the Fedorovsky town, it was suggested by members of the “Society for Renaissance Art of Russia” to open the Museum of Old Russian Art and Architecture here. A large and unique collections of ancient ornaments, weapons, icons, and church plates from the 16th and 17th centuries where quickly gathered here.
During the First World War, a hospital for wounded soldiers and officers where opened in the Fedorovsky town and cathedral. The Tsar Nicholas II’s two youngest daughters, Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna, and Anastasia Nikolaevna, become the patronages of the hospital.
During the German occupation under the Second World War the Federovsky town was badly damaged. After the war it was suggested to restore the complex, however, it was not carried out. Restoration only began in 1976.
In 1994, the complex of the Fedorovsky town was handed over to the Russian Orthodox Church. With the blessing of Patriarch Alexy II there been created inside the walls, the residence of the Patriarch, a museum of history of the Russian Orthodox Church, a pilgrimage and training centre, icon-painting workshops, and a hotel.
TowerRefectoryFedorovskyGodorokRuinRussiaOrthodoxChurchHospitalMuseumPatriarchIconPushkinTsarskoye SeloTsarSaint PetersburgSt. PetersburgPetersburgHDRfoje64