An evening capture of the the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (Собор Казанской иконы Божией Матери) located on the Nevsky Prospekt in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The cathedral was built in 1801-1811 by the architect Andrei Voronikhin with the intention to be the main Orthodox Church in Russia. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Kazan, probably the most venerated icon in Russia. As you can see the cathedral is inspired by the Basilica of Saint Peter in Rome despite that the Russian Orthodox Church strongly disapproved of Voronikhin's idea to create a replica of the Catholic basilica in the Capital of Russia.
The Bolsheviks closed the cathedral for services in 1929, and from 1932 it housed the collections of the Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism, which displayed numerous pieces of religious art and served anti-religious propaganda purposes. In 1991 regular church services where resumed in the cathedral and it were reconsecrated in 1998. Since 2000 it has the status as the main cathedral in Saint Petersburg.
The statue infront of the cathedral’s right colonnade is a memorial to Michael Barclay de Tolly, Russian Field Marshal and Minister of War during Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812.
CathedralLadyKazanIconNevsky ProspectOrthodoxRussiaSaint PetersburgSt. PetersburgPetersburgBasilicaSaintPeterSatueMarshalNapoleonMichael Barclay de TollyHDRfoje64LandmarkEvening