A capture from the interior of the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood (Спас на Крови) along the Griboyedova Canal in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The name refers to the blood of Tsar Alexander II of Russia, who was assassinated here, on the 13th of March 1881, by anarchist conspirators. In 1883 Tsar Alexander III began the construction of the church as a memorial to his father. Work progressed slowly and the church was not completed until 1907. Architecturally the church differs from Saint Petersburg's other churches and cathedrals that predominantly are built in Baroque and Neoclassic style. The Savior on Blood harks back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of romantic nationalism. It intentionally resembles the 17th-century Yaroslavl churches and the celebrated Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow.
In the aftermath of the Russian Revolution, the church was ransacked and looted, badly damaging its interior. The Soviet government closed the church in the early 1930’s. After the Second World War, it was used as a warehouse for vegetables, leading to the sardonic name of “Savior on Potatoes”.
In 1970, management of the Church passed to Saint Isaac's Cathedral (then used as a highly profitable museum) and proceeds from the Cathedral were funnelled back into restoring the Church. It was reopened in 1997 but has not been reconsecrated and does not function as a full-time place of worship, it is a Museum of Mosaic. Even before the Revolution it never functioned as a public place of worship, having been dedicated exclusively to the memory of the assassinated tsar and only memorial services were held here.
ChurchSaviorSpilledBloodGriboyedovaCanalAssassinTsarAlexander 2Alexander 3MemorialRussianOrthodoxGildedDomeColorIconRomanticMuseumMosaicSaint PetersburgSt. PetersburgPetersburgRussiaHDRLandmarkfoje64Спас на Крови