Saint Lawrence (Sankt Lars in Swedish) is a church ruin in Visby on the island Gotland, Sweden. The church is named after Saint Lawrence who was martyred on a hot grill. Sometimes the church has been called Saint Anna (Sankta Anna) the mother of the Virgin Mary.
The church was built in the central parish around 1210-1220. In the same cemetery a German parish church, Holy Trinity (Drotten in Swedish), was built around 1240. The church was abandoned after the Reformation. Architecturally, Saint Lawrence has its models in Orthodox churches, and it has been wrongly suggested that it would have been a Russian church. It’s more reasonable to imagine an architect influenced by Russian architecture.
The colorful wooden houses to the right belong to Café Paradiset (Café Paradise).